“The power under the constitution will always be in the people. It is entrusted for certain defined purposes, and for a certain limited period, to representatives of their own choosing; and whenever it is executed contrary to their interest, or not agreeable to their wishes, their servants can and undoubtedly will, be recalled.”

~ George Washington (1787)

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Local elections and news

As in, I don't have any.

I haven't visited the Walla Walla Union Bulletin web site for a while, but they have revised their web site.  Unless you have a subscription, you get 5 free articles per month, and then it's pay per article. 

I have a print subscription, but I apparently missed the e-mail about resetting my password.  So I get to call the office this week, and see what bureaucratic hoops I need to jump through.  For now, I have no access.

The point being, I was going to post links to articles there, on our blog, as election resources.  There are a number of editorial endorsement of candidates, but even those are behind the firewall.  Which is a pity, as there a couple articles on the budget meetings with the County Commissioners, going around the $1.9 million shortfall, that were useful.

Under "fair use" doctrine, I can quote parts of the articles, as commentary, but copying them completely is not allowed.  So, until I can get my access back, and if I have the time to write suitable articles, all I can say is:  if you want county news, you'll have to read the Walla Walla Union Bulletin yourself, in print or on line

You do have those 5 free views per month, after all.