“The power under the constitution will always be in the people. It is entrusted for certain defined purposes, and for a certain limited period, to representatives of their own choosing; and whenever it is executed contrary to their interest, or not agreeable to their wishes, their servants can and undoubtedly will, be recalled.”

~ George Washington (1787)

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Social Security chief actuary confirms a decision to withhold checks would come from the Treasury

Yesterday, I wrote letters to our US Senators about the current budget-deficit debate. Amongst other points, I said that fund allocations -- after paying the interest on our debt, "...is largely at the discretion of President Obama, so when he claims that retirees will not get their Social Security checks in August, that is his decision."

Today, Stephen Goss, the chief actuary of the Social Security Administration, confirmed that. Follow the link, there's a video of Kansas Republican Representative Tim Huelskamp, getting to the heart of the matter.

Enjoy!

UPDATE:  I sent a follow up message to our Senators, and I'll follow up with a letter to Congresswoman McMorris-Rodgers.  Here's the text that I sent.
Yesterday, I wrote about the need to tone down the rhetoric concerning the budget-deficit ceiling.  Among other things, I said:
"Specifically, if we don't raise the deficit ceiling, the Treasury will not default. We will still have the revenue to pay the interests on our debts, which is the accepted definition of default in the financial world. Secretary Geithner can meet those obligations easily with current revenue."

I wish to point out that Stephen Goss, the chief actuary of the Social Security Administration, confirmed that during Congressional testimony today.  His testimony, with commentary, can be seen at:

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/07/13/video-social-security-chief-actuary-confirms-a-decision-to-withhold-checks-would-come-from-the-treasury/

I hope that this clarifies my position on this debate.  And I hope that you will communicate this perspective to your peers, and to President Obama.

Thank you for your time.